Vegan Apple & Carrot Muffins
- 3 Granny Smith apples (1 chopped, 1 grated, 1 thinly sliced into half-moons)*
- 100 grams carrot, grated
- 350 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 100 grams white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 5 millilitres (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 60 millilitres vegetable oil
- 300 grams vegan yogurt (natural flavour)
- 60 millilitres milk alternative (soy, oat, almond)
- 40 millilitres Maple syrup
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 190ºC fan forced.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Using a fork, mix in the yogurt, vegetable oil, and natural yogurt until halfway combined. Add in apples and carrots and mix until batter is just combined (be careful not to overmix).
- Line muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with oil. Fill each liner ¾ full (an ice cream scoop works great to fill them evenly) and top with two apple slices each. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While still hot, lightly brush or drizzle the tops with maple syrup.
- Allow to cool and enjoy for breakfast or as a tasty snack!
* Would also taste great with Fuji apples