Triple Apple Thai Salad
A refreshing summer salad, great for BBQ entertaining.
50g raw cashews
2 shallots, cut into thin strips
150g sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
1 cup wild / baby rocket
1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
5 Wombok (Chinese cabbage) leaves, finely shredded
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
2 Fuji apples
2 Jonathon apples
1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp shoyu (or soy sauce)
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
Make the dressing
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a bowl and put to one side.
Toast the cashews
- Place cashews in a frying pan over a medium heat. Toast until browned on all sides. This takes about 3 – 4 minutes. Be careful to watch the nuts closely, as they turn from toasted to burnt very quickly.
Make the salad
- Put the shallots, sugar snap peas, rocket, chilli, Wombok and herbs into a bowl. Quarter and core the apples (leaving the skins on). Cut into thin slices and add to the vegetables. Pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve the Thai apple salad immediately with the toasted cashews sprinkled on top.
- If you don’t like chilli, add some thin strips of red capsicum instead. I like this Thai apple salad made with one sweet and one more tart apple. You could also use Cripps Pink (sold as Pink LadyTM) and Granny Smith apples.
- Once you’ve added the apples and dressing, serve immediately.