Hasselback Baked Apples
- 3 medium apples
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp sultanas
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp macadamia oil or melted butter
- 2 wooden chopsticks
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Cut apples in half through the stem and scoop out core.
- Combine sugar, pecans, sultanas, and cinnamon in a small dish and set aside.
- Place one apple half, cut-side down, on a chopping board. Position one chopstick on the board above the apple, and another below. Carefully cut apple into 1/2 cm slices – your knife will hit the chopsticks and stop you from slicing all the way through. Repeat with remaining halves.
- Arrange sliced apple halves in a baking dish. Add water to base of pan. Sprinkle over nut mixture and drizzle with oil or butter.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, baste apples with pan juices, and bake a further 10 minutes until tender and golden.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. The apples are delicious on their own, but make a perfect accompaniment for yoghurt, ice cream, porridge, or even roast dinner.
- You can use a mix of apples but some varieties (such as Fuji, Pink Lady and Jazz) hold their shape better as they cook.
Recipes and images by Jennifer Jenner, for Aussie Apples