Farmhouse apple, date and pecan loaf
125g butter, chopped
3/4 cups water
200g dried dates, roughly chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup rice malt syrup (or date syrup)
½ cup buttermilk
1½ cups white spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup desiccated coconut
4 apples (we recommend 2 granny smith for grating and sliced pink lady for the topping)
1 tbs raw sugar, optional
- Grease and line base and sides 20cm deep, x 7cm x 11cm (base) loaf pan.
- Combine butter, water and dates in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted. Bring to gentle boil, boil 3 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon and syrup. Pour into a large bowl. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven 170°C fan forced. Whisk buttermilk and eggs together. Stir into the date mixture. Sift flour and baking powder over the mixture. Stir to combine. Stir in the pecans and coconut.
- Grate two apples. Core, half and thinly slice the other 2 apples. Fold the grated apple, into the mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Press the slices apples into the batter leaving half exposed. Sprinkle with sugar if using. Bake, 1½ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with butter, sweetened ricotta or spreadable, cream cheese.
🍎 Granny Smith, Pink Lady®, Jazz™, Red Delicious, Fuji, Kanzi™ and Royal Gala are all great for this recipe
Tip we used Granny Smith for grating and Pink Lady for the top
Tip This recipe is Gluten Free
Tip The loaf will keep 7 days in an airtight container in the fridge. It also freezes really well, whole or sliced.
Tip Best way to toast the loaf is between sheets of baking paper in a sandwich press.