APPLE SPICE LAYER CAKE
- 300g (2 1/3 cups + 1 tsp) plain flour
- 65g (3/4 cup) almond meal
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) apple cider vinegar
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut yoghurt
- 3/4 cup rice bran oil
- 2 Royal Gala apples, diced
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C, and grease and line 2 x 6 inch round cake tins.
- Make butter milk by adding vinegar to milk, and set aside for 5 mins.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices (except vanilla). Add almond meal and salt to the bowl, and mix until uniform. Set aside.
- Add remaining wet ingredients to the butter milk (sugar, yoghurt, vanilla and oil). Whisk together, then pour into the dry mix bowl. Mix until just combined, then add apples and fold through.
- Evenly spilt cake batter between the two cake tins, then bake for 60-65 mins, covering with aluminium foil at the 45 min mark.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10 mins, before carefully turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Before layering the cake, cakes must be completely cooled (don’t cut before they are so).
- To assemble your layer cake, cut your cakes in half so that you have 4 even cake layers. Place the first layer on your desired cake stand/plate, then add a thick layer of cream. Add the second layer and repeat, until all your cake layers are stacked on.
- Finish by covering the whole cake with a thin layer of cream. Enjoy as is, or with a cup of tea.
Recipes and images by Panaceas Pantry