Apple Spice Fruit Leathers (Healthy Fruit Roll-ups)
- 2 red delicious apples, peeled and chopped*
- 2 royal gala apples, peeled and chopped*
- 20 grams fresh grated ginger
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Lidded saucepan
- Silicone baking mat or baking paper
- Preheat oven to 80ºC and line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats or baking paper.
- In a saucepan, bring apples, ginger, and water to a simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until apples are softened. Stir halfway through.
- Remove the lid, stir in vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- Put apple mixture into a vented blender (do not use a fully enclosed blender as contents are hot) and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture equally onto the two baking sheets and smooth out by angling the sheet downwards and sideways so the mixture coats the baking paper. Bake in the oven for 2-4 hours or until it is no longer sticky and has a smooth surface. Check after 2 hours and adjust time accordingly
- Slice into desired widths using a knife or pizza cutter and enjoy as a healthy snack!
* This recipe works with a variety of apples. Feel free to experiment with any apples you have on hand!