Apple Galettes with Vanilla Chantilly
A very easy yet impressive dessert with exotic almond and rose water scented frangipane hidden under the apple. This is equally good with vanilla ice cream scooped on top, melting as it hits the hot apples. Use a 15cm fluted tart tin to stamp out the circles or a cookie cutter.
100g ground almonds
80g icing sugar sifted
3 tbsp rosewater
500g block of puff pastry
4 Pink Lady® apples (each quartered and cored)
2 tbsp English runny honey warmed
Icing sugar to dust
For the Chantilly cream
150 ml double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar sifted
½ a length ways split vanilla pod seeds scraped out
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7 /220°C / fan oven 180°C.
- Mix the almonds, icing sugar and rosewater together in a bowl to create a frangipane mix.
- Cut the pastry into 4 pieces and roll out one at time to a shape large enough to take a 15 cm fluted or plain round cutter. Stamp out the circles and put on the baking tray and prick all over with a fork to within 1cm of the edge. Put in the fridge to chill.
- Cut each apple quarter into 3 wedges and toss in a bowl with the warmed honey.
- Divide the frangipane between each pastry circle and spread to within 1cm of the edge. Arrange the apple wedges on top and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven to Gas mark 6/200C/fan oven 170 and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and the apple is tinged golden in parts.
- Meanwhile make the Chantilly cream. Whisk the cream, icing sugar and vanilla together, chill until ready to serve.
- When the galettes are ready dust with icing sugar and serve with the Chantilly cream.
Recipe courtesy of www.pinkladyapples.co.uk
4 x 15cm galettes
23 – 25 minutes