Apple Cake with Hazelnut Caramel Topping
A delicious family teatime cake which also works well served warm with vanilla ice cream for a Sunday lunch dessert.
200g skinless hazelnuts
200g butter at room temperature
200g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
4 tbsp yogurt
200g Self Raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ Pink Lady® apples cored and cut into thin slices (each ½ into 16)
2 tsp icing sugar sifted
For the topping
75g soft light brown sugar
3 tbsp double cream
85g hazelnuts roughly crushed
½ Pink Lady apple cored and sliced into thin wedges
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/ 180°C/ fan oven 160°C. Lightly grease a square loose bottomed 20 x 7.5 cm cake tin and fully line with baking parchment.
- Finely grind the hazelnuts in a mini processor. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together with a wooden spoon. Whisk in the eggs and yoghurt until fluffy. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold in with the ground hazelnuts.
- Fold in the sliced apples and spread the mixture evenly into the tin. Sift over the icing sugar. Put the tin on a baking tray and cook for 1hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping. Put the butter, sugar and cream into a small pan and melt together. Stir in the nuts and fold in the apple.
- Spread the mixture over the cake when it has cooked and put back in the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Put the tin on a wire rack to cool. When still warm lift out of the tin and serve warm or cold.
Recipe courtesy of www.pinkladyapples.co.uk
1 hour 10 minutes