Apple, Chicory & Pecan Salad
Bitter chicory works superbly well with the crunchy sweet Pink Lady® apples and nutty pecans, all drizzled with a creamy sesame seed dressing. If you can’t find tahini, then you could use Dijon mustard instead.
3 chicory bulbs, trimmed, quartered and leaves separated
300g cooked chicken meat, shredded
2 celery sticks, finely sliced
1 Pink Lady® apple, cored and finely sliced
1 shallot, finely sliced
50g pecans, toasted and chopped
juice ½ small lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
a small handful of fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
50g parmesan shavings
- Put the chicory onto a large platter. Scatter the chicken, celery, Pink Lady® apple, shallots and pecans over the top.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and tahini until combined. Drizzle all over the salad and scatter over the parsley and parmesan.
- Tip: to make a lower fat dressing, mix together 3 tbsp low fat plain yoghurt with the tahini instead of the oil.
- Opt for a dressing made with low fat plain yogurt in place of the oil to make this suitable as a regular on the menu
- To reduce the fat content even further, try with ‘virtually fat free’ yogurt! Great for anyone watching their weight or fat, and saturated fat intake
- Helps towards your 5-a-day
Recipe courtesy of www.pinkladyapples.co.uk