Pork and Apple Sausage Rolls
500 gm Pork mince
1 egg (+ 1 yolk for glazing the pastry set this one aside)
3 tablespoons bread crumbs (Panko)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 small apple ( around 100 gm)
2 sheets of frozen Butter Puff Pastry
3-4 Tablespoons Dukkah or sesame seeds
- Oven 190 C. You’ll need a baking paper lined tray and a pastry brush for glazing.
- Take a big bowl and mix the Pork, spices, crumbs, apple and whole egg with your hands very well till completely combined. The mixture will make 4 sausages of 4 rolls each
- Take out two sheets of Puff Pastry leaving them on the plastic sheet. The puff pastry works best if it is pliable but only just defrosted, so take it out just before you are ready. It takes about 8-10 minutes to become pliable. Cut it across the middle leaving it on the plastic sheet. Turn the sheet around so that the long side is in front of you. Each half will make one long sausage roll you will cut into 4.
- Put the extra egg yolk into a small bowl and mix in a good pinch of salt.
- Divide the pork mixture into roughly 4 portions in the bowl and roll one piece of that pork and apple mince into a log. Put it onto the pastry, paint the far edge with egg mixture, roll up tightly and seal using the plastic backing to help you get it smooth and tight. Sit the sausage roll so that the seam is underneath. Cut into half then half again and put onto the lined tray. Paint with egg mix and sprinkle with Dukkah. Repeat 4 times.
- Put the tray back into the fridge for 10 minutes so that the pastry firms up. This helps it puff more evenly.
- Bake till golden or for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.