Apple and Walnut Cake
You’ll need a 20 cm (8 inch) springform tin lined with baking paper.
Set the oven to 170 C or 160 C fan forced
260 gm (2 cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
190 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
125 ml ( ½ cup) plain oil
125 ml (1/2 cup ) milk
1 egg (large)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 gm (1 cup) walnuts. Separate and set aside 6 large pieces for decorating
3 apples. Dice 2 ½ (300gm) and slice the leftover half into 8 for decoration
Glaze: 1 tablespoon honey + 1 teaspoon water
- Using a medium large bowl mix the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon with a whisk or spoon.
- In another bowl mix the oil, milk, egg and vanilla and whisk
- Dice the apples setting aside the ½ apple sliced into 8 for the top of the cake along with the walnut pieces you have saved.
- Pour the liquid, diced apples and nuts into the flour mixture and mix with a spoon till smooth and well combined.
- Pour into the prepared springform tin. Put the sliced apple on top of the cake in a circle and add the walnuts. Put into the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes if it needs a little longer. Leave on a rack to cool for 10 minutes then run a knife around the tin and remove the sides
Simple Honey glaze.
Put the honey into a tiny bowl with the water and microwave for 30 seconds or until just simmering. Paint onto the top of the apples and nuts to finish.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50-60 minutes
Serves 6 people.