Kanzi® Apple, Caramelised Onion & Goats Cheese Galette
- 4 medium size Kanzi® apples (sliced into thin half-moons 5mm thick)
- 2 red onions (thinly sliced into half-moons)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g ash coated goat’s cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed out (store bought)
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp butter for cooking
- olive oil for cooking
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Line a rectangular baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add the butter to a frying pan on medium heat followed by the onions, stir to coat. Allow the onions to sweat until they become transparent (8-10 minutes), keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and stir through. Cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the balsamic becomes sticky and thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Toss the sliced Kanzi® apples together in a mixing bowl with ¾ of the thyme leaves, a good pinch of sea salt and a little drizzle of olive oil to coat.
- Lay the thawed-out puff pastry onto the baking tray. Spread the caramelised onion mixture evenly over the pastry, leaving a 6-7cm boarder from the edge of the pastry.
- Lay 5 slices of Kanzi® apples in the same direction, slightly overlapping each over. Then lay another 5 slices of the Kanzi® in a separate direction. Repeat this process until you have 3 by 4 rows.
- Crumble up the goat cheese into chunks and spread over the top and in-between the Kanzi® apples. Spread the remainder of the thyme leaves over the top.
- Using a flat spatula, gently lift up the pastry border and fold the pastry edges inwards over the top of the pie ingredients.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browning and puffing up.
- Serve warm from the oven or enjoy later cold for a picnic.
Recipe credit – Kanzi® apples