Iole’s Apple and Spice Cake
This apple cake is a family treat for the Nicoletti family, apple growers in Stanthorpe, QLD.
2 Granny Smith apples
125g brown sugar
125g raw sugar
150g unsalted butter
1 large free range egg, beaten
185g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp each ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon
½ cup walnuts or pistachios
Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Core and grate the apples into a large bowl, add the brown and raw sugars, mixing well to combine.
- Melt the butter on the stovetop, then leave to cool slightly before adding it to the apple mixture, along with the beaten egg.
- Sift the flour, spices, baking powder and bicarb soda into a separate bowl and then gently fold into the apple mixture.
- Add the nuts and pour into a prepared bundt tin and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes before turning out and cooling on a cake rack.