Apple oat bars
Easy snack when you’re on the go, and also for kids’ lunch boxes.
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp mixed spice
1 cup oats
2 Granny Smith apples, coarsely grated
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup low fat natural yoghurt
1 1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup honey
Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 16cm x 28cm (base) baking pan with baking paper.
Mix together the dry ingredients:
- Sift the flour, baking soda and spices into a large bowl. Add the oats, apple and sultanas and stir to combine.
Mix together the wet ingredients:
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, egg, apple juice and honey. Add to the flour mixture and using a metal spoon, fold until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Cooking the bars:
- Spoon this mixture into the prepared baking tray and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes clean. Remove from the oven and allow the apple oat bars to cool completely before cutting into 18 pieces.
- This also works with maple syrup instead of honey. Top with flaked almonds, instead of walnuts.
- Store in an airtight container. The apple oat bars can also be frozen.